Friday, March 20, 2015

Landscape Soap, Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge

After seeing the upcoming challenge of landscape soap last month, I immediately began searching images for inspiration, and having recently made salt bars, I thought of...well...salt.

The Dead Sea, naturally, was my next thought! So I searched and discovered beautiful images. I saved two, and after thoughtfully looking at the pictures, I choose one to focus on.
The main inspiration:


Now, I really liked the mountains and the way the salt was positioned, but for the sky, I decided to embellish on it a little because this sky is fairly plain. So the sky appears different than my inspirational photograph.


The Dead Sea
fragrance- Bonsai by Oregon Trail Soapers Supply
colorants- Micas and glitter by Nurture Soap, and mica by the Conservatorie







Now, for those interested in the process and steps I took to create this, I've outlined it below. At the end is also a picture of my first attempt.
******************************************************************


Here is the salt base poured, with water swirled on top.
I made salt soap with 60% salt ppo, and with snowflake sparkle mica and body safe glitter premixed into the salt, I hoped you would catch glimmers like the sun is bouncing off the salt.
The salt was poured and scored with a knife into 4 soap pieces within under 2 hours to prevent completely crumbling on final cut. I also hoped the salt portion would remain textured a little and not a flat hard slick surface to better represent the photograph.


The water was poured immediately after the cuts were made, and once hardened I scored it vertically and horizontally to help the mountain range stick and hopefully not separate since it would be poured the next day.*The fragrance riced a little, but nothing too bad. It also accelerated some, but was completely workable.

Here I poured the mountain range and the sun. The mountains were such a small batch, I decided to do both at once. The first attempt I had done saw the mountains bow downward at the weight of the sky. So I left the mountains to completely harden before continuing on with the sky.



Here you can see my pen marks I used to better visualize how much I needed to pour and where.



I used a finger and attempted to dust the mountains with copper sparkle mica, and the water with glitter, to create a sun reflection. Unfortunately it didn't show in the final soaps.

I also added Klein Blue mica to either side of the glitter to offset the water from the sky. This did help, I think, but I didn't photograph it, unfortunately.



Finally was the sky pour. If you recall the fragrance accelerated and tried to rice up, so I didn't put it into the sky. This caused it to take eons to set up...I again was trying to avoid my sun causing a bow effect from its own weight. I poured one color, then a second, and then did a quick hanger swirl to mix them together. I then laid down some white clouds, and covered lightly with my third color.






I then did a cpop at 170 degrees for 8 minutes. Voila! It set enough to hold the sun snuggly and firm.





 I finished off with more white clouds and swirly tops.



 These landscapes are quite an undertaking I must admit!!!!


This was a fun challenge! I had to really think about the steps I needed to take to slowly build the landscape. I loved seeing everyone's soaps this month, and a big thanks to Amy, again, for hosting these wonderful challenges!
********************************************************************

Below is my first attempt. I liked the sun much more, but the sides were a little crumbly, and the mountains were bowing more than I liked.
Here is the soap today. It was scented with Oregon Trail Soapers Supply Silver Mountain Water *Type fragrance. I LOVE this smell! It is probably a top fave of mine. It, unfortunately, discolors and this is my soap today. I like the colors! Plum and deep teal and pink...had no clue, but I love this soap now lol! 

10 comments:

  1. Great job!! I like the way the sun is positioned down into the sky more in the second one. You've really captured the movement of the water and the beautiful sandy shore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! This was so much more a challenge than expected! So many steps to think through.

      Delete
  2. I love the texture of the salt layer at the bottom and you captured the colours really well. I really think the sun embed sets it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love the half salt half regular soap. I may do more half salt half regular bars in the near future. It suds wonderfully! Thx again!!

      Delete
  3. Great idea with the half salt/half regular soap to create the layers. Your effort in planning paid off well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the feel of this soap. My next is a half salt and half normal with left over circle sun pieces from this project embeded from above. Can't wait!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! The colors are lovely, and make me want to go to Hawaii... BTW, I, too love the way the sun sticks up, as it's more interesting that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. This was so much harder than I ever imagined lol!

      Delete