Friday, December 12, 2014

Soap Challenge, The Spoon/Chopstick Swirl

So, I decided to enter the Great Cakes Soapworks soap challenge for the first time. This month, it was the spoon/chopstick swirl. I chose fairly quickly on the theme I wanted to portray. 

I call it 

New Year's Eve "Black Tie Event"
~ fragranced with Champagne from Bramble Berry 
Colorants: By Bramble Berry
     Titanium Dioxide, Activated Charcoal, Merlot Mica, and Gold Sparkle Mica

  • I added 1 tablespoon sugar per pound of oils to my water to boost bubbles. 
  • I began by pouring a large layer of titanium dioxide colored soap batter. 
  • I then dusted a hearty amount of merlot mica all across it.
  • I poured a very think traced smaller layer of activated charcoal colored soap batter. 
  • I dusted, yet again, heavily with merlot mica. 
  • I proceeded to pick up my toddler, who was screaming at me, in my soapy area, hanging on my leg (she had been napping up to this point, woke and came straight to me) 
  • I held her, moved her away (special thanks to my oldest who kept baby away at this point!) and quickly stick blended a top white layer. 
  • I poured it, and slammed the mold down.
  • Went over to my toddler, and had to hold her a good 15 minutes to calm her down.
                 ~eh, I wanted to swirl thick anyway!~
  • Put her down, and quickly spooned in one swooping circle, left side to middle.. down the mold.
  • I repeated middle to right side, down the mold. 
  • Slammed it down and topped it off with a thick titanium dioxide layer and decorated the top with gold sparkle mica and white pearls.
I appreciate and fully enjoyed being a part of this months Great Cakes Soapworks spoon swirl challenge and loved seeing all the beautiful soaps from all around the world! Thanks to Amy for hosting the challenges and for giving all us soapers out there a creative outlet to push our talents beyond our comfort zones!


***To see my practice soaps for the challenge, see this post.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Janet and Sue. I really enjoyed this intriguing challenge. It sounded so simple, but it proved to be so much more in depth than it sounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your soap!! Just imagine how differently it might have turned out without interruptions! So many different variables to create this technique - and the mica lines really turned out fantastic too! Very black tie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Amy! It's always fun to see what hiccups can bring. I've learned with soap, you just gotta roll with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black & white combo :) your soap looks very classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the same comment got posted twice by error so I deleted one of them. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Not a problem:-) and thank your so much Pooja for the compliment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your soap is beautiful, Liz! I love the colors and the elegance of the swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the complement Debbie! I'm happy the merlot mica showed up. My third practice batch it didn't show much at all, and so I tried to make sure and coat it enough this time so you can at least see it. Thx again:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the effect of the merlot against the gray, and the swirl came out beautifully! You should thank your daughter for her help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Claudia! She helps me like that all the time lol! She's a mama's girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! and interesting effect .. love it ! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I love how to describes step by step :0) I can imagine your kids.. the soap.. the tic tac clock .. great job !! Like ahappy great mommy and teach us how to make beautifull soaps :0) Igot somemerlot mica ... definitly I'm going to try it :0) thank you Liz :0) ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! Luckily the fragrance was a super slow mover, otherwise it would've set up way too much:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! Not easy soaping with little ones around is it?! I learnt from experience to wait until after bedtime, although even that doesn't guarantee freedom from interruptions :-) You did a stunning job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, thank you so much! I usually soap on weekends, when my husband can help corral the kiddos. I was under pressure to get one final soap in and hardened enough to cut in time, photograph and load up to the blog. Otherwise I normally don't soap on Wednesday afternoons. (little too stressful for a fun hobby lol!!) Thank you again:)

    ReplyDelete