Friday, February 20, 2015

DNA/Helix Swirl, Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge

I was a tad reluctant to do this challenge. I find myself overly critical of every soap I make for the challenges. This of course leads to numerous batches of soap, which, if selling would be a good thing, but when not selling means too much soap, not enough dirt! So to make this fun and not quite as left brained as I seem to make it, I decided to cut myself off at a 2 soap attempt this month.

Well, I made 4, but that's way better than the 7 last month!

So for this month's challenge, I had narrowed down my favorite DNA swirl soaps to two.

I had a very hard time choosing, and then a thought popped into my head. I had worked extremely hard at attempting to make a proper technique last month's challenge, and so for this month I should embrace the creative spontaneity that is the essence of soap making.


The Rise of the Lotus

Scented with Lavender Forest by Bramble Berry 
Colored with Red Raspberry, Teal, And Spring Green, by Nurture Soap
titanium dioxide with activated charcoal added

My pour. As you can see, it became quite thick. The fragrance behaves beautifully, so I'm thinking cooled fats (I soaped cooler than my usual) and too high tallow and castor were the culprits.

kitchen lighting is giving an off color.


No bother. It wasn't going to hinder my concept. I had used wider spaced lines my first DNA attempt and decided to go ahead and try them wider this time as well.

Doing the mantra and S pattern here.




Final photo of the freshly poured soap. I went outside the front of the house (with the setting sunlight) to get the most accurate colored photograph I could.




Darn the soda ash! I tried and tried to prevent it. I find wrapping in saran wrap and leaving under a towel the first solid week helps tremendously in the cold months. I just couldn't stop it this time.


Won't lie, a tad disappointed at the ash, but it is what it is.


I love how the in ITP swirl turned out! I'm excited to try this again in the near future!!



This challenge was so much fun! To see my other attempts (including one that needed the tops completely scraped off!!!), see THIS post.



14 comments:

  1. Love your colors and the white middle is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love it!! That white in the middle... gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The white idea was a last minute thing. I'm glad it turned out ok!!

      Delete
  3. Very creative!!! This technique isn't as easy to think outside the box, but you've definitely done it - and you did it well!! Great color choices too! Excellent work! (Do you spray your soap with 91% rubbing alcohol after pour to prevent ash?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      I always sprayed, except with mica swirl drizzled in which I find alcohol tends to ruin them. It hasn't helped. I've also found since the drop in temperature here, and especially in my closet where I store the soaps, the ash is much worse. I cover and insulate with saran and towels, and it works wonderfully. I just didn't do it immediately and ash formed within a few hrs after saponification this time.
      I'm interested in Auntie Clara's experiment with different water discounts, and her findings on her soaps that used a 1:1.4 lye water ratio did not develop ash whereas her 1:2.4 in the "same soap" did. I use a 33% lye concentration or slightly over 1:2 right now. I may try steeper water discounts my next soap and see what happens.
      http://auntieclaras.com/2014/08/intentional-crop-circles-water-discount-as-a-design-tool/
      Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Considering how thick your soap got you should be very proud of this one! the swirls are great, the color choice great as well. I even like the cut bars with the ash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the effect from the slightly thicker batter. It makes it easier to see the helices and you did a great job of getting them all neat and evenly lined up! I don't think the ash is bad, you can still see the lovely bright colours through it and a quick steam will get the bars looking good as new again. I really like your colour choice it's really different. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good scrubbing in water after cure, and you'll never know it was there (I keep telling myself!!). Thank you very much for the encouragement. I love all blues, and haven't tried the pink teal combo yet. Glad I gave it a shot.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful soap, love your color combinations too! have you ever tries steaming the ash off? we discovered this miracle and use it when we need it.
    Nice job on the swirls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I have never really had luck with the steam method. I did scrub it down significantly with a slightly damp washcloth, and it helped a lot.

      Delete